Apparently there is a new facebook chain status floating around. I didn’t even know it was a thing, until I fell for one.
A couple of days ago, I notice a good amount of my facebook friends posting weird things about themselves or their relationships.
One of the most popular one being … “I’ve just found out I’ve been cheated on for the past 5 months.”
Being the good facebook friend that I am, I started liking their statuses. Because that’s what good facebook friends do right?
After “liking” 5-10 of those post, I get a message from one of my friends with the following content:
You should not have liked or commented! Now you have to pick one of the 14 below and post to your status. This is the 2014 breast cancer awareness game. Don’t be a spoil sport, choose your poison, and change your status :
1) Damn diarrhea
2) Just used my boobs to get out of a speeding ticket
3) Anyone have a tampon, I’m out
4) How do you get rid of foot fungus
5) Why is nobody around when I’m horny?
6) No toilet paper goodbye socks!
7)Someone offered me a job as a prostitute but I’m hesitant.
8)I think I’m in love with someone what should I do?
9) I’ve decided 2 stop wearing underwear.
10) I still love my ex.
11) I really don’t know how 2 tell anyone and I’m sick of hiding it I’m gay.
12) Guess it was 2 good 2 b true I’m pregnant.
13) Just won $7000 on a scratchy.
14) I’ve just found out I’ve been cheated on for the past 5 months.
Post with no explanations. Sorry, I fell for it too ! LOL….. Looking forward to your post.
At this moment in time, I’m not too happy that I fell for a trap, but I decide to humor him and post the following status onto my facebook page: “Just used my (man)boobs to get out of a speeding ticket.”
It got 17 likes.
After it happened I realized the following things …
- Who comes up with these chain letters? How am I supporting breast cancer awareness by posting something embarrassing about myself that most likely isn’t true? Also if this chain letter is in support of breast cancer, shouldn’t the embarrassing confessions have something to do w/ breasts? Something like, “I’m lactating out of control” or “My implants are leaking” or “I need a friend who can examine my breasts for lump”. Now that would draw my attention to breast cancer awareness month … not the fact that I’m offered a job as a prostitute.
- This is karma. If I hadn’t liked the fact that people are getting cheated on, I would never had posted something embarrassing about myself which isn’t true and that I can’t defend, since that is part of the rules. No explanations.
- 17 people liked my status. 17 people never doubted the fact that my account was hacked by another person. Nope. They were thinking this post definitely has Thao written all over it. Either this did happen to him and he’s embellishing the heck out of the story. Or he’s just an attention whore who loves to make up stuff to draw attention to himself. Gee, I don’t know what to think about that.
- Sometimes I can be clueless to a fault. How is it possible that 10 different friends got cheated on for the 5 past months all on the same day? There is something fishy going on here! But that didn’t cross my mind. You know what else is fishy? Some of those friends aren’t even in a relationship! How did someone cheat on them if they’ve been single for the past 2-3 years? Do they have an imaginary girl/boy-friend?
- I liked about 10 different statuses, yet only one person sent me that chain letter. You know what that say’s about my friends? It say’s that most of them are willing to play along, but when it comes to dishing out the consequences, they all aren’t game.
Facebook shenanigans … can’t live with them, can’t live without them.